While sponsored with HEE there are certain rules you must follow to protect your Visa status

Important: Important

The HEE National Overseas Sponsorship Team are not qualified immigration advisors and cannot offer immigration advice.

Immigration rules are subject to change. You are advised to regularly visit the Home Office website to check the latest guidance and rules.

Start date

If for any reason you did not start on the date that was stated on your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), you must notify the HEE National Overseas Sponsorship team within 2 working days of the date you were due to start with reasons why you have not commenced.

This should be completed sent via email to [email protected] with the subject title Start date delayed. Please note that you are required to start within 28 days of the below, whichever is the later date.

  • Your work start date stated on your CoS.
  • The date on which your entry clearance was granted (if you made an application from outside the UK).
  • The date on which your leave to remain is granted (if you made an application from inside the UK).

Change of circumstances

You are required to keep HEE National Overseas Sponsorship Team informed of any changes in circumstances that occur throughout your sponsorship. You will need to fill in a Reporting Form within 5 working days of the change so we can notify the Home Office. You will need to inform us if:

  • your start date is delayed from the date entered on your Certificate of Sponsorship (Cos)
  • your immigration status changes
  • your training ends earlier than expected
  • your Inter Deanery Transfer (IDT) application is approved
  • you are changing your hours for example, a Less Than Full Time (LTFT) application is approved
  • an Out Of Programme (OOP) application is approved
  • you are planning to go on maternity or adoption leave
  • you have had a period of long-term sickness (1 month of longer)
  • you are taking a period of authorised unpaid leave
  • you have changed your speciality
  • you are resigning from training

As part of our Sponsor Licence duties, the HEE Sponsorship Team are required to inform the Home Office of changes in sponsored post graduate doctors’ circumstances. The Conditions of Sponsorship are essential to ensure you understand what you are required to do as part of you sponsorship arrangements.

The Home Office requires all Sponsors to fulfil certain duties. The objectives of these duties are to:

  • prevent abuse of assessment procedures
  • capture early any patterns of migrant behaviour that may cause concern
  • address possible weaknesses in process which can cause those patterns
  • monitor compliance with Immigration Rules

Sponsors must report certain information or events to the Home Office within any time limit set.

Important: Important

If HEE are not made aware of changes to your circumstances and these are subsequently discovered, this would be a huge risk to HEE. This could ultimately lead to the withdrawal of your sponsorship and any future sponsorship.

Furthermore, HEE could lose its sponsor licence which would affect all current and future Tier 2/Skilled Worker doctors.

If you need extension of your current HEE sponsorship

To request an extension to your training, please complete the reporting form or email us at [email protected]. We will need to know your GMC number, visa expiry date and your extended end date. Please be aware you may be asked to provide evidence of the extension such as a confirmation email from your Trust. 

Once verified, the HEE National Overseas Sponsorship Team will provide you with log in details to make an application for an extension CoS.

Please note, organisations can only request an extension CoS 3 months prior to the end date of your existing visa as per Home Office guidance. 

Contact details

You will need inform your local HEE office if your contact details change so they can update your records on the Trainee Information System (TIS).

You will also need to update the Home Office.

Inter-Deanery Transfer (IDT)

If you are sponsored by HEE, you can apply for IDT but you will need to meet all of the eligibility requirements.

If you are successful for IDT, you would need to notify the HEE National Overseas Sponsorship Team of your change in location by completing a Reporting Form.

If you are planning on transferring out of England to another UK country (Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland), HEE will not be able to continue to sponsor you. Instead, you will need to contact the sponsorship team of that nation to arrange a new CoS.

Out Of Programme (OOP)

If you are considering going Out of Programme, you will need to be aware of the implications this may have on your visa.

Find out more about going Out Of Programme while sponsored.

Less Than Full Time (LTFT)

You are able to work Less Than Full Time (LTFT) on a Sponsored visa. However, the minimum salary requirements need to be met which will restrict what LTFT hours you can request.

Read a full breakdown of the minimum salary requirements.

Locum shifts

You can do additional paid work on a Health and Care Worker visa as long as you’re still doing the job you’re being sponsored for. You can also do unpaid voluntary work.

You may need to apply to update your visa to do additional paid work. This will depend on the type of work you’re doing and the hours you’re going to work.

If your extra job is also eligible for a Health and Care Worker visa, you can work as many hours as you like without updating your visa.

If your job is not eligible for a Health and Care Worker visa, you can still work up to 20 hours a week if the job is in a shortage occupation. More information can be found on Health and Care Worker visa: Taking on additional work.


Please contact the HEE National Overseas Sponsorship Team immediately via email [email protected] and your HEE Local Team/Lead Employer. It is our duty to inform the Home Office of any sponsored recruits that have terminated their contract. Once you have resigned and completed your last day at work, HEE cannot continue to sponsor you and you will need an alternative immigration status to remain in the UK. 

Page last reviewed: 29 March 2023
Next review due: 29 March 2024